Using Logos & Templates
In January of 2017, the University of Michigan Health System was re-named Michigan Medicine to better reflect the three-part mission of patient care, education, and research. Here’s what you can do to continue to ensure that our brand remains strong.
Always use the New Name
- Discontinue use of the University of Michigan Health System. Avoid abbreviations and use our new name, Michigan Medicine.
Only use Approved Logos
- University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) and Hospitals and Health Centers logos may no longer be used.
- Any logo containing "Department of Pathology" or the names of divisions or services within the Department of Pathology may no longer be used.
- Be on the logo "lookout." If you spot an old logo, point it out. Pay attention not only to hard copies but electronic files as well. Digital letterheads or fax forms with the old logo should be updated with the new one. PowerPoint presentations and other files you have on your computer should also be updated.
Ensure your Email reflects the Name Change
- The organization’s email domain name (@med.umich.edu) has remained the same. Email signature blocks, however, should be updated to reflect the new logo.
- If you receive an email from a colleague who hasn’t updated his or her signature, send them a gentle reminder to do so.
- We’ve provided links to the current approved logos below. Please use them to update your email. You can also find more info on email signatures and instructions for implementing them at this brand guidelines page.
Business cards and other materials
- You should no longer be using stationery with the old name and logos
- You can find info on how to properly order stationery on the Communications stationery page.
- Michigan Medicine - If the primary use is communicating with patients and families in the clinical care environment, or about the entire academic medical center, select the Michigan Medicine identity.
- Medical School - If the primary use will be in an educator or research environment, select the Medical School identity.
- Merchandise & Apparel Logo Exception – Logos with the block M and department names can be used on swag and apparel only and these items must be ordered through approved vendors. Learn more on the merchandise page under brand guidelines.
For more information about logo use, visit the Michigan Medicine Communications DIY website. You can also get information on which version of the logo should be used in a particular situation by visiting brand guidelines.
Please be advised that stretching, skewing, cropping or otherwise tweaking the Michigan Medicine logo is not permitted.
If you have additional questions about the name change or logo use, please direct them to the Department of Pathology's Communications Specialist, Elizabeth Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (734) 647-8850.
We thank you for your cooperation in this transition!